The AAFCS Community on Building Leadership Capacity is presenting the AAFCS Leadership Academy for new professionals (Preference given to those with BS degree or greater with 7 years or less of membership in AAFCS) who wish to design their own leadership plan in order to secure their preferred future as leaders in AAFCS. The 2023 Leadership Academy will begin with virtual sessions starting in April 2023. The Academy will be held one and one-half days prior to the 2023 AAFCS Annual Conference with sessions also held during the Annual Conference. Activities of the Academy will continue throughout the following year with conference/Zoom calls, additional interactive learnings, networking with fellow participants to complete two selected projects which benefit affiliates and AAFCS, and interacting with mentors. Scroll down to see our 2021 and past participants!
Additional Information for Potential Participants and Mentors
The Leadership Academy is an organized effort to assure that a professional cohort of potential new leaders will be available to assume leadership positions in committees, communities, councils, and as elected officers nationally or at the affiliate level in AAFCS for this decade and beyond. Focusing on new leaders, the Academy will address competencies needed for assessing one’s attributes and skills in Leading Yourself, Leading Others, and Leading AAFCS. Seasoned leaders will serve as mentors.
AS A PARTICIPANT YOU WILL:
By active participation in the Leadership Academy experience, the participant will meet the following outcomes of the Leadership Academy:
- Gain knowledge and skills that facilitate the development of personal leadership skills (Leading Oneself).
- Assume leadership roles in AAFCS (Leading AAFCS/Leading Others).
- Develop a supporting network of colleagues who will link new leaders with resources throughout their professional and volunteer experiences. (Leading Oneself).
- Partner with a mentor to enhance leadership abilities.
- Preference given to those who have been an AAFCS Professional Member for 7 years or less (as of Oct. 1, 2022)
- B.S. degree or greater (by August 31, 2022)
- Must participate in the virtual sessions prior to the Academy, attend the 2023 Leadership Academy and AAFCS Annual Conference
- Commit to work with a project advisor and a cohort April 2023-June 2024 on further development of leadership skills through identifying a topic that needs addressing and completing a project, applying it on the Affiliate and National levels.
- Commit to one year beginning April 2023 to work with a mentor (identified through the Academy matching process) to enhance your leadership abilities and meet your individual leadership goals.
- Participate and be involved in networking and ongoing learning and interacting online
- Attendance at 2024 Annual Conference strongly encouraged.
Information about Applying for the 2023 Leadership Academy with Application Essay Questions to Review
Please read before completing the application.
2023 AAFCS Leadership Academy Participant Application Form